ACCORDING TO THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS, TOOTH DECAY is one of our most common, modern-day chronic diseases. In fact, by the time children begin kindergarten, 40 percent have some kind of tooth decay! Remember, just because your children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews aren’t complaining about tooth pain (and their teeth “look” OK), it doesn’t necessarily mean their teeth are OK.
Fall is a great time to assess your health goals and get back on track after a leisurely summer. Here at our practice we want to remind you how important your routine dental care is during your orthodontic treatment period. While we’re making your smile more beautiful, you need to be sure your teeth, gums, and entire mouth stay as healthy as possible. Be sure your regular dental checkups are part of your back-to-school checklist.
What Your Dentist Will Typically Include In A Regular Checkup Or Back-To-School Exam:
Here are some of the typical components of regular checkups and back-to-school exams:
- Thorough Cleaning: Professional cleanings help prevent gum disease—keeping your teeth healthier, longer.
- Checking For Cavities: Take care of cavities before they become bigger problems, leading to pain and tooth loss.
- Checking Existing Dental Work: That includes fillings, crowns, sealants, etc.
- Examining Oral Tissue & Jaw Function: Early detection helps prevent oral cancer and related problems.
- Fluoride Application: For cavity prevention.
Important Things You Can Do
- Keep orthodontic work clean! Brush twice a day. Brush gently and pay special attention to your gum line.
- Teach your entire family the good habit of flossing each day.
- Eat healthier snack foods such as fresh fruits and veggies.
- Limit sugary snacks & high-carb foods. The bacteria that cause tooth decay love simple sugars—especially those in treats.
- If you like to chew gum, choose sugar-free options.
- Always talk with our team if you notice any unusual oral health changes or problems with your orthodontic appliances.
A big part of our role is helping parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts better monitor children’s oral (and overall) health. Preventative dental care is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and for your family! So be sure to keep your regular appointments.
Thanks for being our valued orthodontic patient! Call us at Gorczyca Orthodontics 925-757-9000 if you need a dentist or pediatric dentist in the Antioch, California East Contra Costa County Area. We are located at 5201 Deer Valley Road in Antioch right behind Deer Valley High School. Thank you for choosing Gorczyca Orthodontics for your orthodontic needs. Your smile is our inspiration!