September 9th, 2015
SEVEN IS THE PERFECT AGE for a child’s first orthodontic examination. Screening at age seven assures that your child’s smile will be healthy and look it’s best for the longest time possible.
Early Detection Can Help Long-term Orthodontic Health
Orthodontic treatment at age seven can minimize the need for more extensive procedures such as extraction of permanent teeth in the future. Straight teeth at age seven will also help with your child's self-esteem— a fragile asset that’s so important when growing up.
What to Expect at the Seven Year Orthodontic Exam
At the seven year orthodontic exam, your orthodontist will evaluate:
1. Overjet and facial profile
2. Overbite and jaw function
3. Underbite and tooth wear
4. Openbite, breathing, and oral habits
5. Crowding, spacing, rotations and tooth alignment
6. Symmmetry and facial balance
7. Crossbite and functional shifts
Be sure to seek early treatment if your child has:
1. Snoring or mouth breathing
2. Difficulty chewing, cheek biting, or jaw shifting
3. Thumb sucking, lip biting, or finger habits
4. Crowding or missing teeth
5. Speech problems
6. Grinding or excessive tooth wear
7. Crooked, spaced, or crowded teeth
This case was treated by Board Certified orthodontist Dr. Ann Marie Gorczyca of Antioch, California. Find us at www.clubbraces.com or call us at (925)757-9000 for a complimentary orthodontic evaluation. To find an orthodontist near you, visit the American Association of Orthodontists at www.mylifemysmile.org.